Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Why is it so hard to keep kids from hurting themselves and each other?


When is 'horseplay' OK? When is too much rough housing too much?

As a teacher, I find it puzzling that NO ONE observes what is happening with our kids on the lower campus. Once in a while, a security guard is camped at the bottom of the campus. However, most times there are no adults and it is CHAOS!

Mom and Dad, did you know that your children go bonkers when they think no one is looking? Did you know that they push each other down the hill, put each other in headlocks and try to steal each others' money? I see it all day, every day. And when I step in, I am seen as the mean teacher by both students and other faculty members. Luckily, I don't care what they think.

I am also a mother of four children of my own. I KNOW the sound of over excited laughter, I know the meaning of high pitched screams that have gone from 'fun' to...uh-oh, someone's going to get hurt.

I know we're all overworked and underpaid. I know that public school students need more and more and more instruction time. However, please.....I repeat please...tell your children to chill out and treat each other with some humanity and respect. I promise you, it will pay off at home and as your children mature into, hopefully, responsible adults.

And isn't that what teachers and parents are being asked to do? Help create a responsible group of new citizens?

Just asking...

No comments: